So this is my year of walks...

Nothing fancy. It is exactly what it says it is. Over the next year, I want to take a walk every day. For an entire year. Hopefully, along my journey I can discover better health, weight loss, and a sense of direction and purpose in my life. And so my journey begins. On my way to a better me.

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Mar 3, 2010

This is walk 62 today. I took the day off to head down to Port Charlotte, FL. I was headed down there to pick up tickets to a Stephen King appearance that I had won via the internet. So why not take in a walk in a whole new place? First to the cultural center.

This is it, the cultural center of Charlotte County. I thought it would be more modern and on the water, but it's tucked back away in a neighborhood of modest homes, and it looks more like a rec center. Quaint and cute and it's attached to the library and library book store where they sell hardcovers for a dollar! You can't beat that.

Drove a little further down into Charlotte Harbor. Right on the water, and near a walking bridge. This will be the perfect spot. I took time out for a photo op because I didn't know if another chance would come.

I met these wonderful folks as I was about to start my walk. They helped me out with my parking situation, and I asked them if they walked here before. They sure did! About 3 times a week, so I invited myself into their walk, and they were gracious enough to let me tag along. And boy did we talk.

This is Lou and Judy. They live in Arcadia and they've been married for 48 years. They met on a blind date, introduced by Lou's mother when he didn't have a dance for a local night out. And they stayed together ever since. They're both from Massachusetts, midway between Boston and NYC. They enjoy the country life, and they're proud of their son who's an engineer up at a university in Mass. They told me a little about the local lore as we walked over the mile plus long bridge on a cold day.

This just happens to be the point where Hurricane Charlie made it's infamous right hand turn, sparing the Tampa Bay area from any damage, but destroying everything around the are that you see here. The hurricane came straight up through the harbor.

This Best Western was destroyed and rebuilt to what you see now. Its a beautiful waterfront location now, and the waves were kicking today in the 30 plus mph winds.

Everything you see here is new since 2004 when Hurricane Charlie destroyed this area. New condos, new government buildings, and museums.

All new, and such a beautiful area. Had a great time Lou and Judy. Thanks for showing me the sights on a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Love that you meet great people on your journey and have them become a part of your story.

    ReplyDelete